Friday 25 June 2010

Bolas !




A trip to the supermarket (Pingo Doce) on Wednesday turned out to be fun as we spent some time checking out the animals next door - part of the fire station, on the way home. It was 32 degrees and the shopping was melting fast ! We really need to be more organised and stop going shopping in the middle of the day when it is so hot. So what I thought was a couple of goats was far more interesting.... in addition we found a llama, reindeer, emu's, a pony, peacocks, a ton of different and very bizarre looking chickens and even a green wing macaw who said "ola". Very cute. I didnt take pictures of him or any of the birds as it makes me feel so sad to see pictures of them in a cage. They did look very healthy and well looked after though.... When we got home I decided to mow 'the lawn' and got a bit carried away ! Anyhow , I finished up and stood back to admire my new 'tame' area then went upstairs to call Lauren and wish her a Happy Birthday..... meanwhile..... Fernando a neighbour arrives with his son on a tractor and they begin to plough our garden......
BOLAS. (Balls).
Fernando tells me that whilst my courgette plants are beginning to produce weeners - his are as big as his arm... my tomato plants are a foot tall.... his are shoulder height.... you get the picture.. so bless him he thought he would help me out and be neighbourly. Our conversations are a mix of sign language, my basic pigeon portuguese and lots of giggling... goat impressions and so on.... Fernando looks funny bleating with hands for ears ! He didn't pick the best spot to plough but I am grateful for his kindness and praise the lord he didn't plough up the soak away pipe for the septic tank. Goodness knows what I am going to plant out there.... ! Maybe some radish ? I have some before pictures of my new veg patch area prior to installation here but will post some 'after ones' later on.... The first photo is the view of our house and next doors, taken from the top of the road that meets with ours. Great view.

No comments:

Post a Comment